Saturday, June 13, 2015

Baked Macaroni & Cheese

It seems like there are 3 camp when it comes to mac & cheese.  Those who just want it out of the box (Kraft Mac & Cheese), those who prefer the ultra-creamy stovetop variety, and those who like the baked kind with extra cheese and/or breadcrumbs sprinkled over the top.  I fall into the third category and this recipe is a good jumping off point for that kind of macaroni and cheese.  I'm still searching for my perfect, ultimate recipe but I think it looks a lot like this, just maybe with different combination of cheeses.  Next time I make it I might replace the gruyere with something else like Monterey Jack or Emmentaler or ... I don't know.  Something.  When it comes to cheese, I have got a lot to learn.  I liked the thyme in the original recipe and kept it here but might omit that next time too and see if my girls like it better - while I loved the flavor it added, I think it made it a little less kid-friendly.
 
Baked Macaroni & Cheese
 
1 lb. macaroni pasta
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
4 cups whole milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
3oz cream cheese
1 cup grated gruyere cheese
1 cup grated white cheddar
1 cup medium or sharp cheddar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
Dash of ground nutmeg
Dash of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
4-5 pieces of good white bread, slightly stale (I just leave it out on the stovetop for a few hours)
3 tablespoons butter, melted
 
Cook macaroni in salted water till al dente drain and cool. For cheese sauce, melt butter in large sauce pot add flour mix and cook for 3 minutes on low heat to make blonde roux. Slowly add cold half and half whisking in between additions to prevent lumps. Cook sauce for 5 minutes, add heavy cream, cream cheese, smoked cheddar, Dijon mustard, fresh thyme, onion powder, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, season with salt and pepper. Mix gruyere and 1 cup of white cheddar with cold pasta add cheese sauce mix well. In a food processor or blender, pulse bread into crumbs.  Pour butter over bread crumbs while pulsing, just to combine. Pour macaroni and cheese sauce into greased baking dish top with rest of white cheddar and the bread crumb mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes let stand 10 minutes before serving.
 
Adapted from a recipe found on The Vintage Mixer.

No comments:

Post a Comment